Wednesday, April 2, 2008

From Marthann Cibel Secrist


The Cokinos family and the Cibel family became 'one' when Patsy & my brother, Anthony (Tony) got married on June 27th, 1959. We all came to love and adore Patsy. George & Bebe were an added bonus. I got to know them while Anthony & Patsy were living in Rockville and even better after they moved to Bethesda.
I consider Patsy my second sister. As for George, he was one of the nicest people I've ever known. After I lost my Dad, George told me he knew no one could ever take his place but he volunteered to do whatever he could - if I ever needed him. A true gentleman - always stood up when a female entered the room.
His humor was a bit on the kookie side - Phil & I were at the beach house with them & Patsy one summer years ago. The first morning we gathered for breakfast and what a breakfast! In front of George was a plate piled high with an amazing assortment of donuts. George picked up each and every one while licking and saying "I want them all, and this is the only way I can keep anyone else from eating them!"
He loved his home in Potomac and any given weekend you could find him outside chopping, cleaning up brush, or riding on one of his motorized 'farm' vehicles. He took pride in his homes. He could fix anything! Always puttering, painting, fixing this or that.
He had the most wonderful sense of family of almost any man I've ever known. They were always first in his thoughts and actions. Bebe was his life-long love. They were best friends as well . Whenever I was in any of their homes they made me feel as though I "belonged" there.
George lived life to the fullest. He was doing just what he wanted when he was so critically injured : with Bebe and Patsy - on the sea -tanned and looking about 30 years younger that he was.
He will be remembered by all of us as a wonderful, loving man - for a very, very long time.

No comments: