Tuesday, March 25, 2008

From Chryssa Cokinos Halley


Everyone in my grandfather’s life was part of his family and nothing was more important to my grandfather than family. However, my Grandfather had a special place in his heart for the grandkids. He had unlimited amounts of love for us. It wasn’t the kind of love that we could do no wrong. He wanted to teach us how to act and what was important in life. He did a lot of this teaching by telling us how to behave and what to do. My grandfather always had an answer for every question. However, he taught us more by the way he acted and the way he lived, when he thought we weren’t looking…


  • When he thought we weren’t looking, he was calling on Christmas and pretending to be Santa and telling us stories while we sat in his lap in his favorite chair and we learned that little things are special things.

  • When he thought we weren’t looking, he was playing football or paddleball with us at the beach or at home and we learned it was important to have fun also

  • When he thought we weren’t looking, he had a daily flag hanging ceremony and we learned the importance of country

  • When he thought we weren’t looking he took us for walks at the beach and we learned the importance of nature and good health

  • When he thought we weren’t looking, he stole our food from our plates and we learned to eat with our elbows up

  • When he thought we weren’t looking, he was telling my date to have me home 9 from the lifeguard ball and I learned that he cared

  • When he thought we weren’t looking, we saw him be kind to a stranger and ask them to breakfast (my grandmother was always thrilled to have one more) and we learned to be kind to other people

  • When he thought we weren’t looking, we saw him shining the wheels on the car, cleaning the deck or painting something and we learned it was important to take care of our belongings

  • When he thought we weren’t looking, we saw him haggle over the price of a Christmas tree or a car and we learned the importance of money

  • When he thought we weren’t looking, we saw him conducting business at a restaurant or bar and we learned that being in business took hard work

  • When he thought we weren’t looking, we looked and wanted to say thanks for all the things we saw when he thought we weren’t looking

My grandfather was a special man, as everybody here knows, but for his having lived he made all of our lives better. I think I can speak for all of the grandkids and say I wanted to grow up and be just like my grandfather. I can only hope that I have made him proud.

No comments: